All categories
    • All categories
    • Cats
    • Cat Accessories
    • Cat Services
    • Events
    Please select a location from the drop-down list

    Two Plympton families have been left 'heartbroken' after their two cats died from poisining

    NewsAnimal CrueltyMonday 26 March 2012
    UK cats and kittens

    Two Plympton families have been left 'heartbroken' after their two cats died from poisining, writes Claire Jones.

    The deaths are the latest in a string of poisoning incidents with a total of seven cats dying in the last six weeks. Five cats died in Southway in a similar incident in February.

    The Plympton families, living on Saltram Terrace, had to put down their much-loved pets which suffered kidney failure after being exposed to antifreeze.

    Rosemary Gates's cat, six-year-old Bobby, was the first to die in Plympton.

    Rosemary said: "We were all so upset, my daughter Jo was heartbroken.

    "Bobby was usually very lively and a character but when he came home that day he was violently sick, his eyes started rolling and he went lifeless. We took him straight to the vet and then went to the veterinary hospital where the vet put him on oxygen.

    "He straight away said it was toxic effects and did a number of blood tests to check. An hour later he rang to say it was antifreeze poisoning. His kidneys shut down and we had to put him to sleep."

    To make sure this wouldn't happen to other families, Rosemary let her neighbours know about the incident, which she has reported to the Police.

    "I went down the street and warned everyone and the family next door said the cat wasn't eating well. We didn't know then it was the same as last time," she continued.

    A week later, Rosemary's next door neighbour, Yasmine Tierney-Jones, aged 18, also had to put down her 12-month-old, all-black kitten Floyd, who had similar symptoms to Bobby.

    Yasmine said: "I'm devastated, it's so sad and it's happening a lot. Floyd was off his food, he kept throwing up and his eyes were all closed over and he was dribbling all the time.

    "I took him to the vet a week later and they were really worried about him so I took him to the veterinary hospital. After blood tests we knew it was kidney disease.

    "He was dying all week and I didn't know. I didn't have any insurance for him, and I had to put him down. It was awful."

    Now Yasmine wants to concentrate her efforts on starting a petition to make sure this doesn't happen again.

    "I want to start a petition to do something about antifreeze," she said.

    "I was so angry at the time, and I was even angrier when I found out more about it. To buy rat poison you have to have a licence but with antifreeze anyone can buy it and do anything with it. It's so toxic but so available.

    "This isn't the first time this has happened in Plymouth and I don't know why nothing is being done, if this happened to a child it would be a different story," she added.

    It's not known if the poisonings in Plympton have been deliberate or accidental.

    Rosemary added: "I don't know what to think, we don't want any others going the same way. It makes me so cross to think someone could have actually done that intentionally. It's just important for people in Plympton to know that this is going on."

    Symptoms include vomiting, weakness, increased thirst, anorexia and depression in the first 24 hours, followed by more severe depression and kidney failure.

    Source: This is Plymouth

    Subscribe to our newsletter