All categories
    • All categories
    • Cats
    • Cat Accessories
    • Cat Services
    • Events
    Please select a location from the drop-down list

    What Christmas plants are poisonous for cats?

    Articlegeneral cat adviceFriday 28 October 2011
    Share:

    Many people enjoy the plants associated with Christmas: poinsettia, amaryllis, mistletoe... and the most important one: the Christmas Tree! There must always be a christmas tree decorated with many ornaments and below the Christmas tree the gifts for the whole family. Although there is no reason not to place all the traditional Christmas things around the house, you should bear in mind the safety of your pet as some of the Christmas plants might be poisonous to cats and should be kept out of their reach. Read the article below to learn more.


    You should take a note that the berries of the mistletoe plant are toxic if ingested by a cat or dog. If your cat ingests enough, it might exhibit gastrointestinal distress such as vomiting or diarrhea. Another of the symptoms is that your cat might start to behave erratically, as the berries cause hallucinations in humans. More serious symptoms include trouble breathing and even cardiovascular collapse. If your cat exhibits any of these symptoms, you should contact your veterinarian as soon as possible. In the case of the more serious symptoms, it may need to be treated right away.

    Another hazard is poinsettia. The leaves, stem and flowers of this plant are mildly toxic to cats. If ingested they irritate the mouth and stomach and may cause vomiting. Fortunately, these symptoms resolve usually on their own over time, and it is generally not necessary to treat them. If your cat seems severely affected, you may want to contact your veterinarian so your cat doesn't suffer that much.

    The red berries of the hollies often used to make Christmas wreaths are also poisonous to cats, although the symptoms are usually not that severe. If your cat has ingested these berries, it may experience gastrointestinal distress and exhibit symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea or also both. It is recommended you keep these berries out of the reach of your cat and if your cat shows symptoms of ingesting them, you should contact your vet or local emergency clinic.

    An amaryllis in bloom is another plant often seen around Christmastime that is also toxic to cats. Especially the amaryllis with red or red and white flowers. They not only cause gastrointestinal problems like vomiting and diarrhea but also can have neurological effects and cause excessive salivating, tremors and anorexia. If you suspect that your cat has ingested amaryllis flowers, you should call your vet, or if the symptoms are severe, visit an emergency clinic.

    Generally, all varieties of the yew tree are highly toxic to cats. This evergreen tree is sometimes used for Christmas greenery, but if a cat ingests any part of a yew, severe symptoms may result. The toxin in yew affects the cardiovascular system. It can also be a cause of tremors, result in difficulties in breathing and even heart failure. If you suspect that your cat has ingested yew bark, needles or seeds, seek immediate treatment.

    Read more articles here.

    Text source: ehow; image source: flickr.com

    Articles
    Subscribe to our newsletter
    //