DIY Sunday - Cat Bow Tie!
Every week we're running a feature on some of the niftiest cat-related DIY projects so you can give them a go. DIY means your cat can have something super special at a relatively inexpensive cost to you - so you'll be sure to be in your kitty's good books!
This week we've got something for all you fasionistas with felines who like to look stylish! This easy to make and super cute bow tie - by jessyratfink over on the Instructables website - will make your cat the envy of all their fasionable friends.
For this purr-fect accessory, you will need:
- Iron and ironing board
- Thread and needle, or a sewing machine
- Velcro (preferably iron-on)
- Material with pattern of your choice on
- Safety pin or loop turner
1. Cut out your patterned fabric to the following sizes: one piece at 1.75 x 12 inches, one piece at 2 x 5 inches and two pieces at 2.5 x 3.5 inches. The longest piece needs to be one of the shorter edges on a fold.
2. Pin the two bow pieces (the two 2.5 x 3.5 inch pieces) right side together and stitch around using a 1/4 seam allowance. Leave a hole about two inches wide on one of the long edges of the bow.
3. Trim the corners and edges as shown below but DON'T trim the edge with the hole in.
4. Now turn your bow inside out so the right side of the bow is on the outside - use a crochet hook or tip of a pen to make it super-neat!
5. Fold in the edges of the hole and iron flat.
6. Sew around the edges using a 1/8 inch seam allowance, which will close the hole up (it should look like below).
7. Fold your remaining pieces of patterned material in half and pin, then sew them closed with a 1/8 down the long end only.
8. Push a safety pin through one side of the fabric near one end of the tube and push the head of the safety pin into the tube. Scrunch the fabric on the safety pin, pulling the edges toward where the safety pin went in. Keep scrunching and pulling until the fabric beings to turn inside out.
9. Iron flat so the seam is on the back of tube - this is the collar part of your bow tie.
10. Scrunch up your bow to form a typical 'bow' shape. Then take the smaller of your two tubes and place it around the middle as shown below. Cut off any excess and sew the tube ends together with the seam facing out with a 1/8 allowance.
11. Turn the tube right side out and slip over the bowl!
12. Sew the bow onto the collar using small stitches - take your time!
13. Add the velcro to the ends and present your cat with this fashionable accessory!
Could you provide a loving home for a rescue kitty? Check out all the rescue cats on our site!