All categories
    • All categories
    • Cats
    • Cat accessories
    • Cat services
    • Events

    Cat saves man’s life in fire

    NewsAll Cat NewsTuesday 07 May 2013
    Share:

    A cat has saved its owner’s life by waking him up after a fire had broken out in his home. 

    Victor Bywater, a businessman was awoken by his cat Crystal, who jumped up and down on his bed to make him aware of the fire. 
     
    The fire took place in Mr Bywater’s home in Timperley, Greater Manchester, when an electrical fault sparked. It then spread quickly through the home. 
     
    Mr Bywater was asleep when it began, however, he was able to escape the fire after Crystal, a white cat, woke him up. 
     
    Sadly though, Crystal’s fate was not as positive. The cat wasn’t able to make it out of the home alive, and Mr Bywater’s other cat, Fudge, fled the scene of the fire, but hasn’t been seen since. 
     
    Mr Bywater is in a serious condition in hospital after suffering burns to his head and he also has lung damage due to smoke inhalation.
     
    The local fire-crews have since hailed the actions of the cat after it helped the 50-year-old to escape the blaze. 
     
    Station commander Peter Lamb told the Daily Mail: “Mr Bywater had been woken by his cat who was bouncing on his bed.
     
    “He has come downstairs and has been confronted by a lot of smoke and heat. He managed to escape through the front door and call us out.
     
    “He's fortunately been saved by his cat but his cat hasn't made it. He's got two, one found dead in the house and the other is unaccounted for at the moment.”
     
    The £250,000 property was badly damaged in the fire, which broke out at around 5.30am, and may now have to be demolished.
     
    News
    Subscribe to our newsletter
    //