All categories
    • All categories
    • Cats
    • Cat accessories
    • Cat services
    • Events

    A serial cat killer is believed to be targeting pets in one town after 10 were poisoned in a week. Residents say more than 25 cats in Bedford may have

    NewsAnimal CrueltyTuesday 06 March 2012
    Share:
    UK
    Six cats have died on Maskell Drive alone and a further two are unlikely to survive.
    Sue Bower and her partner Paul Maxam, who live in the road, took their cat Barney to the vet when he became ill last Sunday. Sadly he died yesterday. 
     
    A toxicology report confirmed he had been poisoned by anti-freeze, a sweet-smelling chemical which is often fatal to cats.
    'We are absolutely devastated,' said Mrs Bower. 'He died last night. It was very sad as he was so young.
     
    'My partner Paul rescued him about three years ago and he was only five years old, he was too young to die.
    'He went out last Sunday and when he came back he looked a bit off colour and he wouldn’t eat his food which is not like him.
     
    'We nursed him, then a neighbour came round and said her cat was dead and we soon discovered five others in our small road had died too.'
     
    On investigation Mrs Bower and her neighbour found piles of cat sick all around the estate.
    'It’s definitely some sort of poisoning, it’s just so odd that such a large number of cats have died in such a small space of time,' Mrs Bower added.
     
    'There are two more ill in the road and it just seems to go on getting worse.
     

    Spate: Six cats have died on Maskell Drive alone and a further two are unlikely to survive prompting residents to suspect foul play

    Spate: Six cats have died on Maskell Drive alone and a further two are unlikely to survive prompting residents to suspect foul play
     
    'The local vet has told us there have been over 25 reported cases of possible poisoning in the town in the last week or so.
     
    'There is a field and stream out the front of the estate where the cats used to go but now it’s like a ghost town for cats.
     
    'Our next-door neighbour is the only one I know of with a cat now and she is too scared to let her out.'
    'I know some people don’t like cats but to do something like this is terrible.'
    Single mum Kam Kalyan, who also lives on the fated road, said she found a dead cat in her shed.
    'It was absolutely horrible, he must have crept in there,' she said. 'I took him to the vets but he must have been a stray as he had no collar or tag.
     

    Keep puss indoors: Maskell Drive resident Kam Kaylan cradles her cat Belle. She will not let Belle go out after the run of deaths

    Keep puss indoors: Maskell Drive resident Kam Kaylan cradles her cat Belle. She will not let Belle go out after the run of deaths
     
    'I wouldn’t be surprised if someone was doing this deliberately as so many cats have suddenly died.
    'The cats used to come into my back garden but they haven’t been for the past few weeks.
     
    'I don’t know if that is because people are keeping them in or because they are now all dead.'
    Vets in the area have confirmed they have seen a large number of cases of anti-freeze poisoning in the last week.
     
    Sheldon Middleton, a vet at Acorn House in Bedford, said they had treated one case of anti-freeze poisoning in the last week.
     
    'We know there have been a cluster of cases in the area as vets share this sort of information,' he said.
    'We do see these type of cases in the winter as anti-freeze tastes sweet to cats so it’s hard to say if it is someone doing this deliberately or not.
     
    'It really is a very dangerous chemical for cats as it affects their kidneys badly. If they eat it they will usually die, it just depends how much they eat and how quickly they are seen by a vet.'
     
    Bedfordshire police say they are aware of the situation but are not investigating at the moment sighting a lack of evidence that the cats are being deliberately targeted.
    WHAT TO DO IF YOUR CAT SHOWS SIGNS OF BEING POISONED BY ANTI-FREEZE
     
    Cats are attracted to sweet-smelling anti-freeze and seem to enjoy the taste but can soon suffer agonising deaths if they eat or drink it.
     
    After ingesting antifreeze, cats suffer symptoms including vomiting, seizures, appearing drunk and sleepy and an increased breathing rate. 
    They will also often try to drink more fluids.
     
    Owners should contact a vet immediately if they suspect their pet may have been in contact with the chemical or if they see any warning signs or symptoms. 
     
    The sooner the cat is treated, the better their chances of surviving.

    Source: Daily Mail

     

    News
    Subscribe to our newsletter
    //