‘Cat killer’ alert after poisoning of five pets on same Burnage street
Five cats been killed after a spate of suspected poisonings on a quiet street. An investigation has been launched after the pets – owned by families on Southlea Road in Burnage, Manchester – suddenly died of mysterious causes. Four of the cats were owned by the Mather family – dad Gary, 37, mum Nicola Maddocks, 32, and children Leah, 12 and Shauna, nine.
The first, Bradford, died around 10 months ago. Two more – Charlie and Parker – then died within weeks of each other four months later. A fourth cat – Rosie – died last week. Just days earlier, Felix, owned by a neighbour, also died. None of the animals had known health problems. A vet confirmed that Rosie and Felix had suffered kidney failure and had most likely been poisoned with anti-freeze. Mr Mather told the M.E.N.: "It’s absolutely heartbreaking for me and my two girls. The cats were treasured family members, our babies. "It’s no coincidence for so many cats in the same streets to keeping dropping dead when they are seemingly healthy.
"Bradford was 13 years old so we didn’t suspect anything but the others have all been in their prime. We won’t be getting another cat now, it would be like giving them a death sentence. "We want to get the word out there so other pet owners are aware and also hopefully find out who’s doing this. If it’s intentional it’s absolutely disgusting behaviour.
"The cats meant the world to my family and were like best friends to my daughters. Just because they’re animals sometimes people don’t realise the damage they’re doing."
The RSPCA confirmed it had launched an investigation. An spokeswoman said: "Every year we are made aware of tragic incidents where cats are sadly believed to have died from ingesting anti-freeze and we are deeply concerned and saddened by this." The maximum sentence for causing unnecessary suffering to an animal is six months.
Source: Manchester Evening News